Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Sands of Time

PHOTO PROMPT – © Sandra Crook
I remember.

Your mocking laugh as you exited the dark dungeon where I was imprisoned.

I was betrayed by my Queen, her laughter embraced you outside.

I ate rats to survive even as you waited for me to die.

You feared that the news of my death would spur my supporters to revolt.  Or did you expect me to strike beyond the grave?

You broke my bones but my spirit grew.  I did what no mortal had done before. I found a way out of that hell.


Beware the passing sands of time.  Fear me now for I am death.

**
Written for Friday Fictioneers Word Count : 100

Work has me travelling between two cities again, which might have contributed to my absence from the prompt last week.  So this time to make amends I offer two stories.  One of a softer hue and this one is slightly dark.

To read the other stories churned up by the sands of time click here

12 comments :

  1. Dear Subroto,

    I feel revenge lurking. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just around the corner :-) Thanks for your comments Rochelle.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it was grim. More that that, it conveyed what might have taken pages in lesser hands.

    Incidentally, I love that title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Umashankar, I am glad the grim tone came through.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:31 am

    In the end, Death is always the winner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And isn't that the truth. Thank you for your comments.

      Delete
  4. What a chilling last line. Very dark, another great take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Ga H

      Delete
  5. As I understand it, the escape was death. However, it seems revenge after death is planned. Looks like it's going to turn into a scary ghost story. Well done, Subroto. --- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is definitely after revenge. Thanks for your comments Suzanne, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete