Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pictures of the Floating World


My life can be summarized as Ukiyo-e, or as they call it pictures of the floating world‘.  Living for the moment, devouring the pleasures on offer, drifting without a care in the world. I am no yamabushi ascetic on gruelling mountain pilgrimage in search of enlightenment.

My search is for beauty, the inexpressible ethereal loveliness that haunts my desires.  If I were an artist like Katsushika Hokusai I’d capture my adoration for my current object of affection just as he did with  “Thirty-six views of Mount Fuji”. 


Relationships?  I bid them Sayonara and light a candle to them each night. 
**
Written for Friday Fictioneers. Word Count : 100

A late entry this week but one that got me looking up Japanese art and poetry  and for that I am very grateful.

Totemo kansha shite imasu.    

14 comments :

  1. Dear Subroto,

    I was deeply moved.
    Fukaku kandou shimashita.
    http://japanese-phrases.sakura.ne.jp/010.gif,

    Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rochelle. It was a lovely prompt, I wrote something else in the beginning but then the tempation to link with Katsushika Hokusai proved too much.

      Delete
  2. I tried to copy the gif but it just wouldn't happen. What's Japanese for rats?

    We wrote somewhat similar stories this week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did indeed. Unfortunately blogger does not allow embedded images, or maybe there is a workaround I need to find.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:42 pm

    This prompt had me googling Japanese art, too. Isn't it fascinating? I love how you used the prompt and what an interesting character! Good story, Subroto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Karen. You are right it is fascinating, I never knew that Manga art (comics) have been around for 200 years.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:30 am

    wonderfully written. i considered writing a comment in japanese but that would be pointless and unnecessary.lol loved this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kz for your comments. I'd also like to state that pointless and unnecessary comments are totally welcomed and encouraged here :-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully written.. there are different paths to follow.. and the choice is yours ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Björn. So true the choice is ultimately ours to take.

      Delete
  6. I think you might have been hacked. I received a strange comment on my last blogpost ostensibly from you that begins:

    Dear Respected Perry,

    GREETINGS,

    Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I got your contact from the International web site directory. .....

    I'd look into it. Good luck, Perry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perry, the passwords have been changed and the hacker has been warned ;-)

      Delete
  7. Subroto, Good story and very creative following of the prompt. Well written. :) ---Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan or keeping with the Japanese theme that should be Arigatou Gozaimas Susan.

      Delete